Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day 6


I just finished watching American Idol and started thinking again about Day 6. As I was rereading the book I thought how paradoxical to have watched something that is based on popularity and to have read something that says popularity is such an earthly idea. (My confession is that I even called in some votes).

As I thought more about it I realized the contestants that I like don't really seem to take themselves to seriously but are looking at ways to sing a little better next week and those who can laugh at themselves.

In a similar manner I feel a question I can always ask myself is "how can I do better tomorrow God?" and thank you for the grace you've given me to continue to work on the life you've given me.

Here are just a couple quotes from Day 6 that I really liked: "Christians should carry spiritual green cards to remind us that our citizenship is in heaven." (page 48) "Realizing that life on earth is just a temporary assignment should radically alter your values. Eternal values, not temporal ones, should become the deciding factors for your decisions." (page 50) "Why did I place so much importance on things that were so temporary? What was I thinking? Why did I was so much time, energy, and concern on what wasn't going to last?" (page 51)

Take a few minutes and just think about life as its going in 2008 and ask yourself the question on page 52, "How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignment change the way I am living right now?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Day 6 reflects on the Freedom we can feel when we come to know God. That thought struck me at Sunday's Night's service when John spoke about the ability to be FREE in our beliefs. Realizing that this world is not the end all, be all, gives me a feeling of more freedom. --Kate L.