Monday, March 24, 2008

Day 10


Today I was going through a lot of papers and getting organized (some early spring cleaning). It's not always the easiest task for me but organization really helps me be a lot more productive. As I was reading Day 10 it made me think of getting "spiritually" organized. By that I mean surrender is helping to bring the chaos of life into eternal order.

Warren calls it the "...best way to live." "Everybody eventually surrenders to something or someone. If not God, you will surrender to the opinions or expectations of others, to money, to resentment, to fear, or to your own pride, lusts, or ego. You were designed to worship God -- and if you fail to worship him, you will create other things (idols) to give your life to. You are free to choose what you surrender to, but you are not free from the consequences of that choice. E. Stanley Jones said, "If you don't surrender to Christ, you surrender to chaos." (page 82).

I found a prayer today that I think helps bring all this together. As you think about Day 10 let this prayer guide you:

My soul’s house is cramped. Expand it, so that you may enter in. It is in ruins. Restore it. It must offend your eyes. I confess and know it, but who will cleanse it? To whom shall I cry but to you? Clear me from hidden faults, O Lord.


- St. AugustineHungering for God: Selected Writings of Augustine

No comments: